These scones are sweet, which is how I like them.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cold
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream, yogurt, or whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup almonds (optional)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl, then cut cold butter into the dry mixture. It should be lumpy and a bit coarse looking.
- Mix egg, sour cream, and vanilla into the dry mixture, until just barely mixed, add fillers. I sometimes also add golden raisins, chocolate chips, and hot curry powder to make a savory sweet scone.
- Make a inch thick circle of dough, and cut into six equal portions. Separate each section by an inch or two and bake for 15-17 minutes.